Sweet 16

Monday, August 23, 2010

This past Saturday I ran 16 miles. And, oh how sweet it was. Not only was it the longest run I’ve ever done, but it was a lot of fun, too.

Fun? Really?

Yes, it might sound crazy but training for this marathon has given me such a sense of accomplishment and confidence. I’ve learned that with the proper planning I can do things I would’ve never dreamed of and that’s not only thrilling – its fun.

And, so are the good folks I run with at Get Fit Atlanta. I definitely recommend finding a good group if you’re looking to start running. Tackling those long miles with the right people can make them whiz by and before you know it you’ve knocked out 16.

So here’s the quick and dirty about my 16 mile adventure. I got up at 4:45 a.m. – gasp! – to meet my group – at 5:20 a.m. By 5:30 a.m. we were on our way to logging in the Sweet 16. We ran the first 3-4 miles then did 2:1 intervals the rest of the way. I felt great. I had a peanut butter sandwich and a banana before I left the house and refueled with strawberry-banana PowerBar Energy gels along the way. It was dark and hot when we started; and it was sunny and hot when we finished. Along the way I saw a few dogs, a bunny rabbit and a dead snake – yikes! The last 2&1/2 miles of the run were up the infamous Nickajack hill. Once you’ve run Nickajack, you feel like you can run anything. I finished in 3 hours 28 minutes. Twenty minutes of that were rest breaks including one potty run in Mickey D’s.

Of course I snapped a few pics (not of the potty break – ahem) …

My pre-run pic – it was EAR-LY!

One of my coaches – Beth. Her and Barbara are the best!

Aww, Nickajack. The sign at the bottom of the big-ass hill.

Me with some of the crew celebrating 16. Get it? See the 1 and the 6?

All smiles after 16

I’m going to revel in this moment for the rest of the week because next Saturday we’re uppin’ the ante – can you say 18?

Winks & Smiles,
post signature

11 comments:

EricaH August 23, 2010 at 12:29 AM  

Congratulations on 16. Glad you had fun, I really need to look into a running group or at least a partner. :)

kat August 23, 2010 at 3:23 AM  

Congratulations great effort, just found your blog, enjoying reading about your running exploits.

White Hot Magik August 23, 2010 at 7:23 AM  

Congrats that is a big accomplishment. I really hate running but need to start cycling or something.

Anonymous,  August 23, 2010 at 7:56 AM  

Awesome run! I used to eat PB before a run but it definitely messes my belly up now! Keep it up Wifey!!

MOMSWEB August 23, 2010 at 1:54 PM  

Wifey, it has been simply wonderful to watch you and your blog on this journey to lose weight and the training of your marathon. You are definitely an inspiration! I'm glad to say I know you!
Have a GREAT week!

Anonymous,  August 23, 2010 at 3:32 PM  

How 'sweet' indeed! Great job!

Unknown August 23, 2010 at 3:45 PM  

Thanks, Everyone! I appreciate the kind words of encouragement. They keep me going! Smiles!

Radical Selfie August 23, 2010 at 4:19 PM  

WOWZERS!!! That's awesome, Lorraine! I'm going to channel my inner AskWifey this week as I get back on track (literally) and whip this heart and body back in shape! Thanks for the inspiration! You GO, WIFEY!!

Krystal Grant August 23, 2010 at 8:02 PM  

That is amazing. I'm in awe of anyone that runs 16 miles wearing jewelry. You are fabulous.

Ms. Wanda August 25, 2010 at 1:30 PM  

Awww, I'm glad your running cause I'm tired just reading that you ran 16 frigin' miles, yikes!!! You go Wifey:) You inspire us all! xoxoxo

Post a Comment

This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions, products, event tickets, travel and other forms of compensation. The owner of this blog may be compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner of this blog may receive compensation for a post or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question. This blog does not contain any content that might present a conflict of interest.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP