Kids Say the Darnedest, and Wisest, Things

Thursday, August 26, 2010

I’ve been sort of absent from the blogosphere for the past few day due to a death in my family. On Saturday my cousin, Erich, unexpectedly passed away. He was a gem, with the most joyous smile that could brighten any room. At my age, he was also too young to die. I have a huge family and we’re all staying close to support my aunt, uncles and Erich’s brother, Rick.

When it was time to tell Miles and Milan about Erich’s passing I was scared about how Miles would react. Death is something that is difficult for most people and Miles is no exception. He’s very aware of death and has had many difficult nights going to sleep because of it, so I grappled with what to tell him and wondered if he would “get it.” I wondered until I saw the card that he made for his Godfather, Erich’s brother – Rick.

The cover

This is the inside. There’s also a smiley face on the back.

What made this so special is that he did this on his own. I didn’t tell him to make the card or what to say. He just brought it to me and asked me to give it to Uncle Ricky at the funeral. Wow.

Today my family will celebrate Erich’s life and as I try to stay uplifted I’ll remember my son’s wise words, “He might gone but he loves you.”

Winks & Smiles,
post signature

7 comments:

Mammatalk August 26, 2010 at 10:15 AM  

So, so sorry to hear....

And, what do they say? From the mouths of babes....What a sweetheart!

kat August 26, 2010 at 1:13 PM  

Sorry to read of you loss, the card is very touching and apt and I'm sure it will be much appreciated, children are full of beautiful and wonderful surprises.

La'Tonya Richardson August 26, 2010 at 1:31 PM  

Kids seem to be able to put things in perspective, even when we can't.

Janelle August 26, 2010 at 6:46 PM  

Sorry about your loss. What a beautiful card, amazing how kids know how to make your heart smile when you need it the most.

KereeB,  August 26, 2010 at 8:52 PM  

I am sorry to hear about your family's loss. Thank you for sharing this beautiful story and card.

Unknown August 27, 2010 at 9:21 AM  

Thanks, Everyone! I appreciate all your kind words - smiles!

CurlyKye August 28, 2010 at 2:45 PM  

Sending prayers to you and your family. And I'm not surprised in the least about your son's card....just look in the mirror. He's being raised by an awesome woman!

Post a Comment

This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions, products, event tickets, travel and other forms of compensation. The owner of this blog may be compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner of this blog may receive compensation for a post or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question. This blog does not contain any content that might present a conflict of interest.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP