One Step at a Time

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Wifey’s Q and A

Since I’ve started running I’ve received such wonderful support and encouragement; and more recently lots of questions. Everything from what shoes am I wearing to how I like my Nike+ sportband to what time of day do I run. A couple of weeks ago someone asked me this via Twitter:

"How do you run? I want to but every time I try I don’t get far and feel sick."

While I’m not a running expert – even with two half marathons under my belt I still consider myself a newbie – I feel like I can answer this one. You run by taking one step at a time – literally. When I started I couldn’t make it to my mailbox (I felt sick, too) so I began walking first, then I mixed in a slow jog. I walked five minutes then jogged for one minute. Walked five minutes jogged for one minute. Slowly, over the next few weeks I decreased my walking minutes and increased my jogging minutes. Before I knew it I could make it past the mailbox down the street and up the hill – and didn’t feel like the Grim Reaper was waiting for me at the top.

If you’re interested in running but don’t think you can do it, I’m here to tell you that you can. I felt the same way … and now I’m a princess. There are lots of great references to help you get started correctly. There are books, websites, running coaches, and groups – even free ones – so that you can learn safely and properly. Make sure that you visit your doctor before you start – believe that you can do it – then simply place one foot in front of the other. The old saying, “walk before you run,” applies here. Take your time and move at your own pace – just make sure you’re moving.

Winks & Smiles,

post signature

4 comments:

Krystal Grant March 23, 2010 at 9:40 PM  

This is great advice. I just re-started my work out routine and I am definately taking it one jumping jack at a time. That's about all I can do before passing out into a bowl of ice cream!

Jennifer March 23, 2010 at 10:09 PM  

What a great reminder for those of us who've fallen off the exercise wagon!

Janice @ Mom On The Run March 23, 2010 at 10:48 PM  

Great advice! I started just like that 10 yrs ago... I now have 3 full marathons, and several half marathons under my belt. We all started with a walk/run program.

PS - great job on the Disney Princess Half Marathon!

Anonymous,  March 24, 2010 at 11:46 AM  

Amazing. I'm so proud of you girlie.

Post a Comment

This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions, products, event tickets, travel and other forms of compensation. The owner of this blog may be compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner of this blog may receive compensation for a post or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question. This blog does not contain any content that might present a conflict of interest.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP