Married to a Football Fanatic

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Wifey's Weekly Q and A

Dear Wifey:

My husband practically begged me to take an interest in football, his favorite sport, but since I have he’s constantly telling me to be quiet while we’re watching a game. I’m only asking questions so I can learn. I’m trying to be a good wife, but I don’t think I’ll make it past preseason if he doesn’t stop shushing me. What am I supposed to do?

- Mrs. Married to a Football Fanatic

Dear Mrs. Married to a Football Fanatic:

From the wife of one fanatic to another, I understand. My husband, an ex-college player, gave me free reign on planning our wedding except it absolutely could not be during football season, especially the Saturday that Florida plays Florida State. Fortunately for me, I like football, but that wasn’t always the case. Kudos to you for trying to learn more about your husband’s favorite sport.

I definitely suggest knowing some of the basics before you sit down on the 50 yard line with him. You don’t have to go overboard and know how to call plays in the huddle, but you should know what a play and a huddle are. And, you shouldn’t ask him in the middle of a game. Unless, he is so removed from both teams, giving you a tutorial while trying to watch it will more than likely kill his joy – and yours. Instead do a little research on your own, then you can sporadically ask him the more advance questions, leaving him impressed with your new found knowledge. Actress and former NFL wife Holly Robinson Peete wrote a fun and informative book, Get Your Own Damn Beer, I’m Watching the Game!: A Woman’s Guide to Loving Pro Football, which I highly recommend. The internet is another great way to become familiar with your husband’s favorite game.

Marrying a sports fanatic can present its share of challenges. For more tips on Surviving the Games, the Boys and your Beer Stained Carpet check out that chapter (number eight) in my book, Help! I’m a Newlywed…What Do I Do Now? (Gasp! Shameless plug here.) Yes, I dedicated an entire chapter to it!

Winks & Smiles,

post signature

How about you? Are you married to a sports fanatic? How do you handle it? Sidelined wives want to know …

The advice on this site is intended to be helpful, but is not meant to take the place of marital counseling, legal advice, financial advice or any other professional service. If you feel you need professional help, it is encouraged for you to get some.

7 comments:

shelley August 19, 2009 at 8:26 AM  

goodmorning "wifey"
first, i love your wedding picture, gorgous!!! beautiful bride! sports wives, i feel your pain... LOL my husband isn't a big sports fan but our oldest LOVES (and that is an understatement!) football, she is at school in the south and there is NOTHING like SEC football, she lives for the sport! of course she wants to become a sports commentator and a redskinette.. but i'm completely lost, so if i married a huge football fan, i'm sure i'd need that book! but we do love the tailgates... anyhow stopping by from roll call this am love meeting new friends!
smiles,
shelley
http://iamstillstandingafterallthistime.blogspot.com
http://theplaygroundprincess.blogspot.com

Unknown August 19, 2009 at 9:35 AM  

Football ROCKS! Just sayin'...

Unknown August 19, 2009 at 11:50 AM  

I am not a football fan, although I will watch if the Patriots are playing. Luckily my husband usually watches football only once a week, so it's not an issue. BUT, I have become a HUGE Boston Red Sox fan out of necessity. They play almost every freakin' day of the summer. I also am a Boston Celtics fan....love watching them, too. So we watch sports together.

(see my blog on sports:

2009/06/now-that-im-retired-i-have-more-time-to.html )

Just dropping by from SITS to say hi; hope you'll do the same.

Tim August 19, 2009 at 1:06 PM  

Ok, I have the guys point of view for you here ladies!

First let me start by saying that you nailed this one on the head Wifey!

It is good to learn things on your own as it will impress him of you new found knowledge, but at the same time if you want to share the learning experience with him then he should also help you do so.

Ask your questions at the right time. Commercials and halftime are perfect for this, as he will not be involved in the game. Trust me, us guys get involved. We are so invested in our teams that it hurts our hearts to miss anything. Of course this NEVER gives us the right to shut out the most important person in our lives though.

Im just saying to try and be perceptive as to when you ask the questions. If he still does not want to talk to you about it, then let him know that you are wanting to learn for him so that you can share in it with him. Guys couldnt like anything more than to have their better half be involved in something they love so much trust me.

My wife dons a Romo jersey and watches every single Cowboys game that come on. When Im watching nine other games at once (which I do because I commish mutlile fantasy leagues (another story) she kinda stays to herself because she isnt that into other teams.

So its pretty much a give and take. give him some space during the game and ask your questions during halftime and commercials while expressing your interest in learning the game.

Love and Prayers,

Tim

Jenni August 19, 2009 at 9:03 PM  

My husband enjoys some different sports...but I wouldn't call him a fanatic. He doesn't ask me to watch anything with him...and I in turn don't ask him to watch figure skating with me. :-D

Felicia - I complete Me August 20, 2009 at 11:11 AM  

I too am married to a sports fanatic period. We joke that I got pregnant during the time where there was no football, basketball, (and now his new love of golf). Luckily for me I was taught about football while in high school by some of my male friends. I learned more through out college as guys started to realize I like football and new a little bit, so by the time I met my husband I was good. I would say to do some research on your own, never asked during the game like Wifey stated and find another female friend that understands football and have her explain it to you.

Great advice once again Wifey.

Press Release Format July 24, 2014 at 4:37 AM  

Everybody should give value to others demand.I have been to read it for its valuecity.Thanks more to share it.

Post a Comment

This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions, products, event tickets, travel and other forms of compensation. The owner of this blog may be compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner of this blog may receive compensation for a post or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question. This blog does not contain any content that might present a conflict of interest.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP