Husband's Messy Room

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Wifey’s Weekly Q and A

Dear Wifey:

My husband has his “own room” in our house which was an extra bedroom that he’s converted into his den/office/computer room. I normally don’t go in there much but needed to use his computer and was horrified at the mess. It was a pigsty! How do I get him to clean it up?

- Mrs. Husband’s Messy Room


Dear Mrs. Husband’s Messy Room:

You don’t. It’s his room, right? One of the perks of having your “own room” is keeping it the way you want – even if it’s a pigsty. I assume it has a door. If it doesn’t that might be a good investment. Otherwise, don’t bother him about the way he keeps his room. As long as there are no living things growing in there and he doesn’t leave food around, let him be. You don’t go in there much, remember? He’ll eventually clean it up when he can’t find something that he’s looking for or if he’s having the guys over and needs some space for them. Besides, you probably have the run of the rest of the house anyway. Be happy the mess is contained to a room you can avoid and let it go.

Winks & Smiles,

post signature

Does your husband have his own room? Is it a pigsty? How do you get him to clean it up? Wondering wives want to know …

The advice on this site is intended to be helpful, but is not meant to take the place of marital counseling, legal advice, financial advice or any other professional service. If you feel you need professional help, it is encouraged for you to get some.

11 comments:

Unknown June 3, 2009 at 8:41 PM  

I agree mostly. You could "offer" to redecorate and organize for him. My husband has a room too. It's right off of our front door so it's the first thing you see when you come in. I helped him put the color of paint he wanted in there and get some cool furniture...but it's pretty trashed most of the time. The room has french doors and when someone comes over, I close them. No biggie...and no fight. About once every few months he decides it time to clean it and then I help him. I figure, if you leave him alone, eventually he'll come around to wanting it clean. Plus, if you make it nice with cool deocrations and such, he'll be more inclined to keep it clean.

Funkidivagirl June 3, 2009 at 8:45 PM  

OMG...I would just LOVE if my husband had his own room for all his junk! I would make sure that it had a door, but other than that, I would only complain if it was so packed that I couldn't get the door closed. Our house is small and there isn't anywhere for all his stuff, so it is everywhere. I would love to have a room to throw his stuff without comment or concern. Leave the room alone and be happy that he's not messing up the rest of the house.

MsTypo June 4, 2009 at 3:23 AM  

Hubby has his own office at home. I'm not allowed to clean or tidy in there. But he knows if we have company he needs to tidy it up to some semblance of not a disaster area.

Mozi Esme June 4, 2009 at 4:28 AM  

It depends on Mr. Husband. Mine would love to have me clean it up for him...

MOMSWEB June 4, 2009 at 8:41 AM  

My husband would also want me to help him tidy up a bit, not often, but every now and then. A man's room is like laundry - it tells a story. You might want to go in every now and then and tidy up - juuuust a little.

Ms. Wanda June 4, 2009 at 12:08 PM  

Your right Wifey leave it alone. Long as nothing is growing and there are no bugs his good:)

Felicia - I complete Me June 4, 2009 at 12:09 PM  

My husband has taken over the guestroom/office to be his room. It is messy in there as well. Between him and our older son what is a mom to do. Well I don't go in there, I don't play video games, and we have a laptop so I use it in the living room. Things will change if I end up becoming a WAHM then it will no longer be his room and it will have to be neat.

Mommy of Many June 4, 2009 at 6:58 PM  

I agree with Wifey. Its his room count that as one less room you must clean. Be thankful that he has his own room. I wish my husband had one room to contain all of his "stuff", since he doesn't it floats throughout the entire house leaving a trail wherever he goes.

Shanny June 4, 2009 at 8:50 PM  

As hard as it might be for me to let go, I agree with Wifey... its his space after all, the only thing I would ask him is to make sure no leftover food or anything edible is left in there, ewww!

African-American Brides June 7, 2009 at 7:35 PM  

This is too funny, because I've "let my husband have" half the downstairs portion of the house. I was going crazy trying to keep all of his records, CDs, etc straight. It's saved my sanity. But, I'm not sure we can have people over anymore... lol.

Erica

Unknown June 7, 2009 at 9:04 PM  

My personal advice...dont clean it up! At least it is in his OWN room and you can close the door...unlike how it is at MY house but I am not going there...

Post a Comment

This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions, products, event tickets, travel and other forms of compensation. The owner of this blog may be compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner of this blog may receive compensation for a post or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question. This blog does not contain any content that might present a conflict of interest.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP