Me Time … You Mean for ME?

Thursday, March 5, 2009

That’s right. Me Time. For you.

Husband, the baby, kids, homework, extracurricular activities, work, meetings, doctors appointments, parents, laundry, cleaning (insert the rest of the never ending list here).

When’s the last time you had a little Me Time?

Don’t laugh or start calling me nasty names. I’m serious. Me Time is a crucial component in keeping your family, your household, and yourself sane.

When I was in the thick of taking care of a newborn, a very active two year-old, juggling a full time job and running my house I NEVER had a moment to myself. One day I discovered the only time I really got a reprieve was in the bathroom. Not to take a shower, but to sit on the throne as my grandmother so graciously calls it. Suddenly I became the most regular chick on the block. Not really, but I had no shame in grabbing a magazine and whispering pitifully into Husband’s ear, “Dear, I’ll be back in a few minutes. I really have to go to the bathroom.”

And it worked. For awhile. Until Husband got concerned that something might seriously be wrong with my stomach.

Five years later I don’t have to sneak off into the bathroom to get Me Time, but I do have to consciously pencil it into my hectic schedule or it just won’t happen.

Slip out to the spa, get your workout on, relax in a bath, shop ‘til you drop, blog without interruption, ahem, find something that makes you happy then make arrangements to do it.

When’s the last time YOU took some Me Time? And what did you do? Overscheduled moms need to know…

Winks & Smiles,

post signature

15 comments:

MOMSWEB March 5, 2009 at 9:35 AM  

Uh...hmmm....well...Good grief, I guess it's been a while. I usually try to do this often, but I guess I forgot about me - AGAIN! I'll get a few hours this weekend when hubby and the boys go out together. Thanks for the reminder; I appreciate you!

Larie Carlice Proverbs 27:19 March 5, 2009 at 10:00 AM  

Yeah, share how you all get some me time. I need the suggestions...

smooches,
Larie

Larie Carlice Proverbs 27:19 March 5, 2009 at 10:02 AM  

Oh, wait, well I do have to say that my husband is VERY GOOD at helping me to achieve some me time, but lately with his changed work schedule and his mother and brother living with us, but has now moved out but still needs our assistance, its' been hard.

Hope I don't sound BITTER! :)

smooches,
Larie

Unknown March 5, 2009 at 10:16 AM  

MOMSWEB, you are more than welcome - thank you!

Proverbs 27:19, you don't sound bitter - just in need of some Me Time. Take heed, even if it's only a few minutes, and check back for some more suggestions!

Winks & Smiles,
wifey

Trina March 5, 2009 at 10:41 AM  

Crashing in from Sits- I love my "me time". That's when I blog or read. Two of my favorite relaxing things to do. I make a schedule everyday and I try to always fit in my own little space.

Unknown March 5, 2009 at 10:47 AM  

I'm going for a pedicure, wanna come! :)

CG March 5, 2009 at 7:18 PM  

I plead the fifth...

Unknown March 6, 2009 at 12:22 AM  

Thanks for the comments, ladies! And, yes KC Mom, a pedi would be right on time! :)

Anonymous,  March 6, 2009 at 9:01 AM  

My "Me" time starts around 8:10am when the last one leaves out of the house for school. It ends by 2:45 and then restarts daily until Sats and Suns arrrive. Then it's all about the kids. My real Me time is when I go to visit my mother who lives in CA. I go by myself and it's a joy to be called Angela and not Mom, Honey, Go ask Mommy.

Bum Atom March 6, 2009 at 9:31 AM  

yeah blogging just eats the time up
yes it's me time
I like the bathroom idea
did you steal it from your husband
bad joke
rock on

joanofalltrades March 7, 2009 at 1:00 AM  

I'm not a mom and I really just wonder about how I will do it when I become one.

Unknown March 9, 2009 at 9:45 AM  

I think reading blogs counts as me time but I don't do that enough. Hmm, exercise. Again, I need to do more. A bath? Haven't taken a long leisurely one of those in awhile. Hmm. Sounds like I need to get my pencil out too.

Anonymous,  March 9, 2009 at 10:39 AM  

Hmmm. Since my kids are in school all day now, I try to squeeze in "Me Time" then. It's hard though, because I want to use that time to "get things done" and even though they have been away all day, I end up burnt out, overwhelmed and stressed out....still. I used to reserve Fridays during school hours for "Me Time" and I need to put that back on my calender...especially since school is out in less than 3 months. Yikes!

MrsM March 11, 2009 at 5:48 AM  

My "Me Time" can only be received in exchange for sleep time. That is why I am commenting at quarter to 3 in the morning.

To be fair to my husband and children, it is not their fault. Hubby is exceedingly conscientious about promoting time for me, and Monkey is very sweet about making sure "Mommy rests". Still, Baby Bug and Bean have no concept of Mommy as a human being yet and I am my own worst enemy. If I don't do what needs to be done I have a mile-long to do list in my brain that never goes away and I haven't trained myself to ignore yet.

and1moremeans5 April 18, 2009 at 1:06 PM  

it has been a while since i've had some 'me time' probably about 8weeks ago! i get time at night when all 4 are in bed when i do my yoga, watch a bit of TV and blogg but i would love a nice whole day to myself to do whatever i wanted. i think i might start scheduling in one day a month of 'me day' i will ask the husband! x x

Post a Comment

This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions, products, event tickets, travel and other forms of compensation. The owner of this blog may be compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner of this blog may receive compensation for a post or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question. This blog does not contain any content that might present a conflict of interest.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP