Make Sure You Check Your Girls

Monday, March 16, 2009

You didn’t ask but I’m just sayin’…

Make sure you check your girls.

Not your sisters or your BFFs. Your “girls.” Your breasts, your boobs, or whatever cute little nickname you like to call them.

Last summer at a routine doctor’s appointment my gynecologist found a small mass in my left breast. He sent me for a mammogram and ultrasound – just to “check it out.” Fortunately for me it turned out to be nothing but some dense breast tissue, but for approximately 200,000 women every year it’s more than that – it’s breast cancer.

Last week I went for a six-month follow up and again was given good news. Before I could step down from the table, the ultrasound technician – a passionate twenty-something-year-old woman who probably has to deliver bad news more often than she’d like – impressed upon me to be diligent in doing self-exams.

“If you feel anything in question you come and get it checked out,” she said with a smile. “It only takes a few minutes, and it could save your life.”

She’s right. So often we tend to neglect ourselves. We sacrifice our sanity, our health and our bodies for a never ending list of things we feel we have to do. Often breast cancer can be cured if it’s caught early enough. What wasn’t detectable at your last doctor’s appointment can surface three months later. If you’re not doing your own exams it could be nine long months before your doctor finds it. Ahem, ladies, do I really need to tell you what can happen in nine long months?

So, I’m just sayin’ …

Make sure to check your girls.

Add that to your never ending list … and make sure to put it toward the top.

Winks & Smiles,

post signature

10 comments:

Unknown March 16, 2009 at 9:50 AM  

How could I forget my girls...they take up more than half my upper body! They make it impossible for me to forget them...I guess that's a good thing!

MOMSWEB March 16, 2009 at 10:52 AM  

Thanks for the reminder and I thank God for my girls that I refer to as lumps. They are just that small, but I'm grateful to have lumps to check for lumps (lol).

Anonymous,  March 16, 2009 at 2:44 PM  

Sure do. I have to. My mom is a survivor now of 8 years.

Anonymous,  March 16, 2009 at 4:11 PM  

Great post! I need to do better and checking my girls. Thank you for the reminder. I came across your site through Christie.

Shanny March 16, 2009 at 6:27 PM  

Great reminder post!
I actually do check regularly but I've forgotten sometimes so let me say: Thank you.
Also, I'm glad your case was a good one and that you are healthy =)

Unknown March 16, 2009 at 8:40 PM  

Thanks for comments and kind words, Ladies!

Mrs. Cooper, so glad to hear your mom's a survivor! :)

Anonymous,  March 16, 2009 at 10:48 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous,  March 16, 2009 at 10:51 PM  

My best friends mom found her cancer this way. She checked herself regularly and found a pea sized something. Thankfully, it was diagnosed early and they treated it aggressively to the point that now she is in the clear just over 5 yrs. now. Thanks for the reality check.

My best, Lynn
(I have a giveaway this week...)

Mama Nut March 18, 2009 at 11:41 AM  

Thanks for the reminder...sometimes we forget about doing important stuff like this. And who knows...your reminder may have just saved a life! Stopping by from SITS rollcall to say hi.

The Broke Socialite March 19, 2009 at 9:34 PM  

As the daughter of a breast cancer survivor, I regularly check the girls! I realize the importance of regular self-exams and thank you for getting the word out!

Post a Comment

This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions, products, event tickets, travel and other forms of compensation. The owner of this blog may be compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner of this blog may receive compensation for a post or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question. This blog does not contain any content that might present a conflict of interest.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP