Tackling the Big "M"

Monday, November 30, 2009

A Sneak Peek Inside Wifey's House

I'm tackling the Big "M." No, not marriage (although I do that on a daily basis). No, not motherhood (that’s already the story of my life). And, no, not menopause (I know, I’m know, my kids’ friends call me “ma’am” now but I’m still not old enough for the change). I’m talking about the other big M … a marathon.

Gasp!

Yes, I’m going to run in my first marathon; and no, I haven’t completely lost my mind. Well, maybe just a little bit. I hoping to lose a few pounds, too, but my main reason for doing it is for the challenge. I want to do something that I think is incredible, that not that many people can say they’ve done (as few as 1 percent of the population) and something that will benefit my body and my mind.

I’ve always thought that running is sexy … and something that I couldn’t do. I used to look at other people run and wish that I could do that. I remember watching a television program and seeing a disabled gentleman with no legs run a marathon and thought, hello, if he can do it, and he has no legs, there’s no reason why I can’t, too. That sparked my first run in 2004 and it’s been an exciting journey ever since. I’ve run the AJC Peachtree Road Race, the world’s largest 10K race, four times; and in 2005 I proudly completed a half-marathon, that’s 13.1 miles.



Here I am still standing after 13.1 miles!

Running that half-marathon had such a huge impact on my life. It showed me that I can do anything that I set my mind to. Before my kids were born I was the laziest person on earth, and I smoked cigarettes, too. Gasp! No one and I mean no one would ever guess that I would have run down the street, let alone a half-marathon. Afterwards I felt good, I looked good, ahem, and it boosted my confidence. It also did wonders for my post-baby-sex-drive, but that’s a whole other post.

It’s time for a new goal; a new challenge and to get to get my body and mind back in top shape. Today I’m starting my 16-week training program to run in the ING Georgia Marathon on March 21, 2010. I will make sure to keep you updated on my progress over the next 4 months and welcome any tips, tricks and support.

How about you? When’s the last time you set a challenge for yourself? Motivated mamas want to know …

 Winks & Smiles,
post signature

10 comments:

Krystal Grant November 30, 2009 at 10:49 AM  

That is so exciting! I wish you all the best. I'm already standing at the finish line cheering for you.

Mammatalk November 30, 2009 at 11:49 AM  

Good for you! My girlfriend decided to run a marathon in celebration of her 40th b-day. I always admired her for that.

And, as far as a challenge for myself...um...does blogging count?

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run November 30, 2009 at 12:11 PM  

I was checking out my new Followers and saw you.. CONGRATS a Marathon is an amazing Goal, and about as tough as Motherhood...LOL!!

Good Good luck! If you have any questions along the way let me know. I may not have the answers, but I have many many running Bloggy friends who will. Hugs!!

The Broke Socialite November 30, 2009 at 8:18 PM  

I'm sooooo proud of you! You can do it. I shall be at the finish line. Waiting with a cold one.

Anonymous,  December 1, 2009 at 7:37 AM  

Good luck! I can barely run half a mile, so marathoners impress me to no end.

Taylor Stoddard December 1, 2009 at 12:47 PM  

It's funny that I decided to come read your blog today because this week I'm starting the couch to 5k. It's no marathon, but I haven't ran a mile... let alone THREE miles since high school. Maybe after I finish this I'll move on to longer runs. Good luck with the training!! :)

joanofalltrades December 1, 2009 at 11:20 PM  

Wow! You inspire me! I'm still recovering from the WALK me and hubby took around the neighborhood on Sunday. LOL!

kanishk December 4, 2009 at 5:59 AM  

I'm already standing at the finish line cheering for you.

Work From Home India

Unknown December 4, 2009 at 9:53 AM  

wow! I am so proud of you. And inspired. Thanksgiving and the beginning of the Christmas goodies season is already adding some more of me to love. But I'm bored to death with the elliptical and aerobics tapes.

The other day I did the Cleveland Shuffle for 40 minutes with weights. And last night it was the Mary J. Blige Just Fine line dance for 45 minutes. I'm loving those YouTube playlists.

So thanks for the motivation. I'm sending encouraging thoughts your way.

Gooooo Lorraine!!

MOMSWEB December 17, 2009 at 2:35 PM  

You go girl with your cute self!

Post a Comment

This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions, products, event tickets, travel and other forms of compensation. The owner of this blog may be compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner of this blog may receive compensation for a post or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question. This blog does not contain any content that might present a conflict of interest.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP