Channeling Little Eddie

Friday, January 22, 2010

A Sneak Peek Inside Wifey’s House

Husband and I received an invitation this week to come to the Media Center at Miles’ school to hear him read a story that he wrote at the Authors’ Breakfast. The Authors’ Breakfast gives a few students from each class (this week was the third grade) the opportunity to share their work in front of their parents and peers as they are recognized for outstanding writing.

Yes ya’ll I was more than thrilled. As I writer I LOVE my son’s interest in reading and creating his own stories. I’m definitely a proud mama and not afraid to show it.

As the program began we listened to several children come up and read wonderful stories about random topics including healthy eating and the importance of vegetables, the history of The White House, an essay on Benjamin Franklin and why football is one child’s favorite sport. I wondered what Miles wrote about. Maybe Martin Luther King, Jr. or the time he met MLK, Jr.’s sister. When they called Miles’ name, my chest poked out a little and it took everything I had not to yell out, that’s my son!

When he started his story titled “White Water,” I was beaming as he recounted a trip we took with our neighbor to the popular water park this past summer. His sentences flowed, he was speaking confidently and then things went a little, ahem, … left.


My little author reading his story

After explaining so nicely the fun we had on our outing, he decided to mix a little fiction in with reality and his story went something like this:

"My sister, our neighbor Brooke and I were having so much fun. It was a beautiful day. We loved going on the rides. My favorite was the Cliffhanger. It was so high then dropped straight down I thought I was going to die. It gave my sister a big old WEDGIE."

Gasp!

That would be me, wondering if everyone else just heard that, too. He continued …

"She cried and screamed like a little girl, then she wet her pants."

Gasp! Gasp!

OK, did the teacher read this story before she sent him out there? Hello! At this point Husband, and all the other adults in the room are trying hard to keep from laughing out loud as he took one more good stab at his sister …

"Next we tried to go on the Tornado but she vomited all over everybody so my mom took us home. The End."

Wow.

Well, I must say the child is creative and the essay was definitely, um, entertaining. I don’t know why I was so surprised since Miles loves reading the Captain Underpants and Diary of a Wimpy Kid series – typical 8-year-old boy stuff - but I guess you never expect your child to stand up in front of everyone and discuss his sister’s bodily fluids in such detail. Nonetheless, I was still beaming and picked my jaw up off the floor before he came bouncing over to get my seal of approval.


Miles showing off his certificate

I think I giggled all morning as my son’s performance reminded me of the beginning of Eddie Murphy’s hit, stand-up movie, Raw. Yup, Miles was definitely channeling Little Eddie.



Winks & Smiles,
post signature

8 comments:

MOMSWEB January 22, 2010 at 9:33 AM  

ROFL....Girrrrl, this was tooo funny! Picturing your face made me laugh harder. Boys WILL be boys. LOL!

Ms. Wanda January 22, 2010 at 11:54 AM  

LMBO!!! Miles's story was honest and to the point, girl that is the makings of a brilliant writer!!! Love this post!

Anonymous,  January 22, 2010 at 12:53 PM  

LMAO!!! I sitting her picturing you trying to keep your cool while the story progressed.

La'Tonya Richardson January 23, 2010 at 9:39 AM  

Now that's funny! The visual I got of your face is priceless. And if he knew how he made you squirm, he'd really joke about you in a few years. It looks like your son has a funny side.

I left something for you on my blog.

http://latonyarichardson.blogspot.com/2010/01/my-very-first-award.html

Mocha Dad January 23, 2010 at 11:23 AM  

I love kid's creativity. Miles seems to have mastered the art telling stories with great detail. I'll look for his name on the New York Times Bestseller list.

joanofalltrades January 23, 2010 at 6:51 PM  

LOL! You better be glad AV is a boy or else I'd be coming to scoop Miles up from you. I hope he holds on to his love for reading and writing forever.

Krystal Grant January 24, 2010 at 9:57 PM  

Miles wrote a great story. Good thing his sister wasn't there to hear it.

Post a Comment

This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions, products, event tickets, travel and other forms of compensation. The owner of this blog may be compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner of this blog may receive compensation for a post or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question. This blog does not contain any content that might present a conflict of interest.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP