Challenged Glassware

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Wifey’s Weekly Q and A

Dear Wifey:

I have had the same dishwasher for five years and my wine glasses and other glasses just recently started having this white streaking/cloudy stuff on them. I have been using those Cascade ActionPacs for the past year. We do not put un-rinsed plates or glasses in the dishwasher so I don’t think it is film from fat/protein (hot water does not remove it). Any suggestions would help ... like should I clean the dishwasher with citric acid to prevent it?

- Mrs. Challenged Glassware

Dear Mrs. Challenged Glassware:

Great question! Since cleaning tips and tricks are not my forte, ahem, I’ve asked my favorite lifestyle blogger, The Broke Socialite, to help with your dilemma.

“I do believe that I can help with your reader's quandary. Her problem is likely not her product; but her water. Stemware can fall victim to years of washing in hard water...whether by hand or dishwasher. This ‘clouding’ can probably be removed by cleaning with vinegar. Soak the glasses in pure white vinegar for at least an hour, rinse with warm (not hot) water and dry with a lint-free cloth. It may take a few times to see a remarkable difference.

Should this not work, check out sales on great stemware because you'll need to invest (and it doesn't need to be expensive...check Tar-Zhay, Ross, TJ Maxx, Macy's) in a new set. If you buy gradually, it won't be so overwhelming.”

Thanks, Broke Socialite! That’s exactly what I would’ve said.

Winks & Smiles,

post signature






How about you? Got any dishwashing or other cleaning tricks? Domestically-challenged wives want to know?

The advice on this site is intended to be helpful, but is not meant to take the place of marital counseling, legal advice, financial advice or any other professional service. If you feel you need professional help, it is encouraged for you to get some.

5 comments:

MsTypo October 14, 2009 at 3:59 AM  

Great advice! :) Our glasses always break before we can own them long enough to get cloudy. LOL

Anonymous,  October 14, 2009 at 7:04 AM  

Love how the two of you handled this. Never knew about the white vinegar trick. I'll have to keep that in mind.

MBB Founder and Editor Denene Millner October 14, 2009 at 11:04 AM  

Okay, officially? Vinegar is the magic elixir. I put it in the wash to get rid of really strong smells (especially sour wash cloths/towels and, ugh, football and soccer uniforms), and I also use apple cider vinegar in my hair to restore it to its natural state after I wear it pressed. My dad—old school!—swears by it. Now I know YET ANOTHER use!

And glassware at Marshall's is THE TRUTH! I just purchased a 10-glass set of drinking glasses for $6, a six-glass set of stemless red wine glasses for $5, and a four-glass set of crystal scotch glasses for $4.50. What?! I won't buy my dishes/serving ware/glasses from anywhere but Marshall's—seriously.

La'Tonya Richardson October 19, 2009 at 3:02 PM  

I am so not surprised about about vinegar. I continue to learn what it's good for. Like Denene, I often use it to get rid of smells in laundry, as well as boiling it, to get rid of smells in the house.

Thanks to Denene, I know where to buy glasses. I have NONE. We've had plastic for EVER, and now that my kids are older, we can move past plastic!

Personalized Glassware November 25, 2013 at 4:08 AM  

That's right! Vinegar is really a great liquid to remove white stain with your glassware. This is proven and really effective.

Post a Comment

This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions, products, event tickets, travel and other forms of compensation. The owner of this blog may be compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner of this blog may receive compensation for a post or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question. This blog does not contain any content that might present a conflict of interest.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP