Husband's Holiday Cheat Sheet

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Wifey's Weekly Q and A

Dear Wifey:

I love my husband but he didn’t pick out good Christmas presents for me last year. This is our first Christmas married and I would really love to get something that I might actually like. He hasn’t asked, but I want to give him a list. Is that wrong?

- Mrs. Wish List

Dear Mrs. Wish List:

No, it is not wrong to give your husband a “wish list” or "cheat sheet" to steer him in the right direction. Not everyone was born with a fabulous-shopping gene so feel free to help him out; just make sure you don’t insult him or let him know how bad he bombed last year. The last thing you want to do is crush his ego. Suggest that you both make wish lists to make things easier on each other. If he’s not a shopper he’ll probably welcome the idea leaving the two of you less stressed and much happier as you open presents, that you'll truly enjoy, under the tree.

Winks & Smiles,

post signature






How about you? Do you help Husband with hints for your holiday gifts? Wondering wives want to know ...

The advice on this site is intended to be helpful, but is not meant to take the place of marital counseling, legal advice, financial advice or any other professional service. If you feel you need professional help, it is encouraged for you to get some.

7 comments:

The (Un)Experienced Mom December 10, 2009 at 10:17 AM  

You could say that I help him. It's like this in our house:

Hubby: "What do you want? Just tell me."
Me: "Here's my list. I'll take anything from it."

An alternative is to leave pictures as hints. For instance, I left a jewelry catalog out when we were dating with the ring I wanted circled.

Boy does that ring look great on my hand! ;-)

Great post....I just posted a list of simple, inexpensive, and practical gifts for guys if you're stumped.

Tamara
www.theunexperiencedmom.com

Jen @ After The Alter December 10, 2009 at 10:55 AM  

as you'll see in my last post..I did the unthinkable this year and just told him what I wanted...lol It is working out perfectly and I am so excited for my gift! Sometimes, if there is something you are really looking forward to getting it's best to just say it, as much as surprises are nice...sometimes men just don't get it and you end up disappointed.

Anonymous,  December 10, 2009 at 11:19 AM  

I tell my middle daughter what I want and where he can go to get it and then she takes him to that exact store and shows him. She'll even tell him how much money to take with him. My husband has no sense of gift giving. So it works good this way or he'll just give me money and that's fine too.

funkidivagirl December 10, 2009 at 12:12 PM  

Mrs. Cooper, I like your approach because you're not giving him the list yourself. My daughter is too young for that now, but I plan to use that system in the future!

Currently we don't exchange holiday gifts. Our anniversary is right before Christmas, so he usually gets me something for that. I would like for him to take me shopping and to lunch...that would be a fun gift.

Krystal Grant December 10, 2009 at 2:43 PM  

I told my husband exactly what i want this year. I want a BlackBerry Smartphone. I don't usually tell him what I want for Christmas, but I want one so bad that i started dropping hints around October!

Ky,  December 11, 2009 at 8:09 AM  

I am known to drop hints (frequent hints) *haha* or leave little "note to self" tabs laying on the coffee table so that he just so happens to read it.

But I think in today's economy, making a wish list would be much more beneficial. I am definitely going to approach my husband with the idea tonight. Adding in the addendum that we can both get each other 1 thing that is not on the list that we would really like to get for one another. That way he doesn't know that my "wish list" is really a "these are the things I want...not a kitchen appliance" list. How does that sound?

Plus you never know, your husband might be thinking the same exact thing and not know how to approach the subject.

Mozi Esme December 13, 2009 at 6:29 PM  

Well said! In our house we pretty much buy our own gifts, since there've been too many disappointments... I'm jealous of couples who seem to know each other so well they know exactly what to get one another, but for some reason that doesn't seem to work for us.

Post a Comment

This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions, products, event tickets, travel and other forms of compensation. The owner of this blog may be compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner of this blog may receive compensation for a post or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question. This blog does not contain any content that might present a conflict of interest.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP