Stepping Up Your Game

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

You Didn’t Ask but I’m Just Sayin’…

Are you being the best you that you can be? Are you happy with the way you feel, the way you look and with the choices that you make?

Or, is it time for you to step up your game?

Every once in awhile we all need to take a look in the mirror and ask ourselves if we’re living life the way we want to live or if we’re hiding behind the challenges and excuses that stand in our way. Life is short; or really long pending on how you’re living it.

As wives, mothers, daughters, and girlfriends our families and our work (in and outside of the home) pull us in many directions. There’s no doubt that we’re overworked, underpaid and often just plain tired. But … (oh, come on, you knew it was coming) I’m a big believer in the old saying “when there’s a will, there’s a way.” If you’re daily routine is not working for you, it’s up to you to change it. If you want to lose 10 pounds it’s up to you to drop the Twinkies and get moving. If you need some “me time” it’s up to you to schedule it.

Yes, there are circumstances that are out of our control, but I’m not talking about those. I’m talking about the things that we can change. The things we tend to hide behind. Whenever I used to see a woman jogging down the street I would always say, “I wish I could run.” Running always seemed so sexy to me. I wanted to do it, but never did. Quite honestly, I didn’t think I could. One day I was watching TV and saw a documentary on a runner who lost most of his legs in a car accident but ran marathons using prosthetics. It was a huge awakening. Why was I wishing for something I was more than capable of doing? I have full use of my legs. That man didn’t but still made it happen. After that I started running in my neighborhood. My first run was to the end of my street. My longest run has been a half marathon. Now I run the Peachtree Road Race every year. I decided to step up my game and the rewards (physically and mentally) were boundless.

I wrote this post because it’s time for me to look in the mirror again and to figure out where and how I can step up my game. How about you? Are you living life the way you want to … or is it time for you to step up your game? Inspired women want to know …

Winks & Smiles,

post signature

12 comments:

MOMSWEB June 16, 2009 at 9:22 AM  

Yes! I feel great about how I'm living. It took turning 40 a few years ago for my mindset to change, but I now know my body will only be as good to me as I am to it! The forties are great years and I'm enjoying life to the fullest. I feel good and if I may say so myself, I look good (lol). Walking four miles a day is paying off!

TanishaRenee June 16, 2009 at 9:29 AM  

great post! You're right, it's important to constantly re-evaluate our lives so as to not get stuck in a rut.

I've felt the same way about running for so long but I keep starting and stopping. I need to get motivated!

Felicia - I complete Me June 16, 2009 at 11:42 AM  

This is such a great post and exactly why I'm a life coach. We do hide behind excuses, society's ideals and teachings from our past that if we take a look out our me, does not fit with who we are. I decided that when I was pregnant I wasn't going to be miserable, hot (pregnant in the summer time) needy, and over weight. I was the exact opposite of all those things. Once I had my son and I was tired of trying to be the "perfect mom" I decided what was more important to me and my family and what I was capable of doing on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis. It's all up to you and how feel comfortable. Now I'm happy and feel complete. We can't wait on someone else to do things for us. We have the power to make ourselves feel and be complete.

I too feel that running is sexy and I need to get my but up and do that along with my yoga.

MsTypo June 16, 2009 at 11:54 AM  

I'm the queen of excuses. I can put anything off . My diet is currently on semi hold because of our travel plans. The my birthday. Then our anniversary. Then we have guests. I'm good clear though October. *sigh*

Dee @ tifiblogs June 16, 2009 at 7:50 PM  

You're so right. I think I'm going to go start working on some things...right now.

Ms. Wanda June 16, 2009 at 8:12 PM  

Alright, I'm steppin' it up Wifey!!!

The Broke Socialite June 16, 2009 at 9:09 PM  

It's SO time for me to step up my game! Thanks for the challenge, my dear.

Eyeglasses & Endzones June 16, 2009 at 11:14 PM  

Girl, you do NOT need to step up your GAME! You need to sit on the couch with a bag of chips and Chill!!! ;)

jmt June 17, 2009 at 5:15 PM  

I LOVE popping onto blogs that are talking about running! I run, have since junior high and high school....LOVE it. I don't do much and it's been hard in between babies over the past 5 years, but I'm just now getting back to it after weaning my baby and I'm EXCITED. :) A half marathon is GREAT too, congrats! Personally, right NOW...my "look myself in the mirror" moments have been about getting in QUALITY minutes with my boys. Instead of just allowing them to "play" together, I needed to force myself to stop doing whatever it was I was doing and be with THEM during their play. :) Thanks for the good post and thoughtful questions. Happy Wednesday - (popping over from SITS roll call).

joanofalltrades June 19, 2009 at 12:49 AM  

OOOOO chile! It's definitely time to step my game the hell up! I am seriously on a mission now to get things crackin and this post was a great motivator. Thanks!

AjaCanai,  December 7, 2009 at 2:52 PM  

Way past time to step it up...Great post and I am glad that I found this site...

Post a Comment

This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions, products, event tickets, travel and other forms of compensation. The owner of this blog may be compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner of this blog may receive compensation for a post or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question. This blog does not contain any content that might present a conflict of interest.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP