Still Standing

Monday, January 18, 2010

A Sneak Peek Inside Wifey's House

In honor of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, I want to share this story that I posted last year on my former blog, Wifey's House, about Miles and his love for MLK, Jr.

Miles has had a thing for MLK, Jr. ever since he saw a video about him in Kindergarten. Honestly, I'm not sure if he's more fascinated with the incredible things that MLK, Jr. did for the civil rights movement or the fact that he got shot - with a "real gun."

One day he asked me if MLK, Jr.'s children are still alive. I told him yes, and that his sister is, too; and, that she works at the same place that mommy used to work. Well, to my delight you would have thought that I told the boy I'm best friends with Zack and Cody from The Suite Life or Hannah Montana. His eyes lit up and he excitedly asked if he could meet her.

“I don't know about that sweetie, but I can see if she will sign her children's book for you. What would you do if you could meet her?”

“I would probably fall down!”

When I shared this story with my former boss, she was as tickled as I was; so tickled that she picked up the phone and called Ms. Christine King Farris and asked her if she would meet my son. I don't know who was more excited - me or Miles! When I told him we need to make sure to take a picture he replied, “yes mama, I'll need it to show to my kids one day.”

Wow.


Miles, the gracious Christine King Farris and her autographed book, "My Brother Martin."

I'm glad to report that Miles didn't fall down that day, but his mommy was completely floored!

Winks & Smiles,
post signature






11 comments:

Keli January 18, 2010 at 8:44 AM  

My niece was given My Brother Martin when she was first beginning to read...she asked us to read it to her over and over again...and then once she begin to read well, she read it to us over and over again.

And I would have been floored as well, what a great experience for both you and your son.

Adoption of Jane January 18, 2010 at 9:05 AM  

How cool is that?!!! Go Miles!

Eyeglasses & Endzones January 18, 2010 at 10:32 AM  

Wow! That is soo amazing! I would love to meet someone from the King family. I am soo jealous of that!! ;)

Shanny January 18, 2010 at 3:03 PM  

This is such an amazing experience! Yay for Miles =)

Banteringblonde January 18, 2010 at 4:36 PM  

Well how fantastic is that? Miles is too adorable!!

Krystal Grant January 18, 2010 at 10:04 PM  

Beautiful picture. Great story. I know how Miles feels because I work in the same place that MLK's daughter works and it amazes me to see her. I feel like she's a rock star and I want so much to ask her for her autograph, picture or something. I never have had the nerve. I just smile, say hi and keep going. I'm such a nerd!

Kerrie January 19, 2010 at 11:04 PM  

Wow. What an amazing story! Miles looks so happy!

Sekou McHenry January 20, 2010 at 2:27 AM  

MILES! That's great! He's such a wonderful kid. Props to you Miles!

Funkidivagirl January 20, 2010 at 12:53 PM  

That is absolutely wonderful. Go Miles!

joanofalltrades January 20, 2010 at 10:04 PM  

Love it! Some kids from my school got to go to the King center last Friday. She was there and she read and signed the book for them. If Miles were my son, this whole situation who have me boohooing. Love that Miles!

Jennifer January 21, 2010 at 2:58 PM  

Girl that is just amazing. I am a dork and totally teared up. I LOVE that he is excited about learning about history. More so, I am thrilled he is excited about his culture!

Post a Comment

This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions, products, event tickets, travel and other forms of compensation. The owner of this blog may be compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner of this blog may receive compensation for a post or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question. This blog does not contain any content that might present a conflict of interest.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP